The American Numismatic Society.
Nestling close to the main structure, in fact attached to its westerly end, is the little building of the American Numismatic Society, the only numismatic society in the world established in its own building, one devoted exclusively to numismatics.
The main exhibition room (ill. no. 42) contains cases in the centre where the exhibits are frequently changed.
The wall cases are notable for the artistic quality of the plaques and medallions, chiefly by modern foreign and American artists of note. These selections from the Society's collection are the best products of the "sculptors in small," and all are worth careful study.
On the four central columns are swinging cases containing decorations and insignia, perhaps the most complete general collection in existence. On one side of the gallery are the dies used for the medals issued by the Society and particularly fine impressions of each.
There are 25 of these medals, dating from the Lincoln, struck in 1866 from dies cut by Emil Sigel, to the J. Pierpont Morgan Memorial Medal, designed by Emil Fuchs in 1913. The collection contains in all about 100,000 pieces and there are about 3,000 books and pamphlets in the reference library on the upper floor.
Here is displayed the well rounded collection of coins of all countries from the earliest times to the present day. There is a remarkably strong group of historical medals and some 10,000 pieces of confederate and old United States paper money. Special facilities are offered to students and the members of the Society.
On a lower level and west of the Numismatic Society is located the little Spanish Church of Our Lady of Hope. Everything here is on a small scale, but charming in proportion.
Returning now to Broadway we find a more imposing church at the corner of 155th Street—The Chapel of the Intercession of Trinity Parish, set in the old Trinity Cemetery. It is a fine example of Gothic architecture, the windows filled with colored leaded glass; the vaulted wooden ceiling carved and colored. The architect of this Gothic church is Bertram Goodhue; the pulpit, choir stalls, organ loft and entrance screen are elaborately carved by Kirchmayer, while the exterior stone carvings are by Lowrie.
Go To Next Page