Note.—First paragraph of each section of the City gives buildings, the second paragraph notes sculpture.
BOROUGH OF MANHATTAN BELOW WALL STREET
U. S. BARGE OFFICE, 73 Pearl Street—First Dutch tavern, later the Stadhuys. CUSTOM HOUSE, Bowling Green—Cass Gilbert, architect; groups of four Continents by D. C. French; single figures by various sculptors; murals by E. E. Garnsey. FRAUNCES' TAVERN, Broad and Pearl Streets—Built 1719; historic associations. TRINITY CHURCH, Broadway and Wall Street—Upjohn, architect; bronze doors by Bitter, Niehaus and Rhind; churchyard monuments. STOCK EXCHANGE, Broad Street—Post, architect; pediment group by Ward; single figures by Bartlett.
From Batery Park view of STATUE OF LIBERTY by Bartholdi. In Park: ERICSSON by J. S. Hartley; VERRAZANO by Ximenes; CANNON by J. & R. Lamb; WIRELESS OPERATORS' FOUNTAIN by Hewitt & Bottomley; ABRAHAM DE PEYSTER by Bissell in Bowling Green; WASHINGTON by Ward, Broad and Wall Streets.
WALL TO CANAL STREET
NATIONAL PARK BANK, 214 Broadway—murals by Albert Herter. CHEMICAL BANK, 270 Broadway—murals by Taber Sears. NATIONAL BANK OF COMMERCE, 31 Nassau Street—murals by C. Y. Turner. ST. PAUL'S CHAPEL, Broadway and Fulton Street in its church yard. CITY HALL, City Hall Park; open free daily lo A.M. to 4 P.M. (pilgrimage 4); John McComb, architect, erected 1803-12, restored 1908-15; about loo portraits by artists of early XIXth century and good old furniture. COUNTY COURT HOUSE, City Hall Park—reliefs and tablets to distinguished jurors. MUNICIPAL BUILDING, Centre and Chambers Streets—McKim, Mead & White, architects; exterior reliefs by A. A. Weinman; murals in Comptroller's offices. HALL OF RECORDS, Centre and Chambers Streets—exterior sculpture; portraits in Surrogate's Court. CRIMINAL COURTS BUILDING, Centre Street between White and Walker Streets —murals (3) in Court Room by E. E. Simmons, gift of the Municipal Art Society; Foster Memorial relief by Bitter; window by Armstrong.
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN by Plassmann and HORACE GREELEY by Ward in Park Row. BowNE FOUNTAIN, Roosevelt and South Streets. NATHAN HALE by MacMonnies, City Hall Park. JACOB H. SCHIFF FOUNTAIN in Seward Park, Canal and Jefferson Streets; A. W. Brunner, architect
EAST—CANAL TO 23D STREET
COOPER UNION, Third Avenue and 8th Street (see Museums and Schools). ST. MARK'S CHURCH, Second Avenue and loth Street—oldest church site on the island; Peter Stuyvesant, buried 1672, lies in the grave yard. HEBREW TECHNICAL SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, Second Avenue and 15th Street—murals by F. L. Stoddard. ST. GEORGE'S CHURCH, Stuyvesant Place, x6th Street—polychrome interior decorations. WASHINGTON IRVING HIGH SCHOOL, Municipal Gallery, Irving Place, 16th and 17th Streets—relief by Frances Grimes (ill. no. 48), murals by Barry Faulkner, both gifts of Municipal Art Society.
SULLIVAN FOUNTAIN by Thomas Lamb, Delancey Street and the Bowery. PETER COOPER by Augustus St. Gaudens, Cooper Square, Third Avenue and 7th Street. S. S. Cox by Louise Lawson, Astor Place. SLOCUM FOUNTAIN by Bruno Zimm, Tompkins Square, Avenue A and 7th Street.
Go To Next Page